Thomas W. Sturgill
Thomas W. Sturgill is a faculty member at the University of Virginia School of Medicine. He received his BA (1971), his PhD (1976) and MD (1978) from the University of Virginia. He did his postdoctoral work at the Department of Molecular Pharmacology at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and intern in Duke Hospital. Later Dr. Sturgill returned to University of Virginia Medical Schools as faculty member.
In 1987 Thomas W. Sturgill together with his postdoc L. Bryan Ray, discovered a novel serine-threonine kinase, which after being stimulated with insulin phosphorylated microtubule-associated protein 2 . The kinase was named microtubule-associated protein kinase (MAP kinase) to indicate that fact. The same abbreviation has been changed to mitogen-activated protein kinase when it became known that a plethora of mitogens are major activators of MAP kinases, and that they phosphorylate many diverse downstream targets, not just microtubule-associated protein. The Sturgill lab continues its studies of MAP kinase signaling pathways to this day. The current focus is on the MAPKAP kinases and other proteins regulated my MAPKs.
- Sturgill TW. MAP kinase: it's been longer than fifteen minutes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008 Jun 20;371(1):1-4. doi:10.1016/j.bbrc.2008.04.002. Epub 2008 Apr 10. Review. PubMed PMID:18406346
- Kasid U, Suy S, Dent P, Ray S, Whiteside TL, Sturgill TW. Activation of Raf by ionizing radiation. Nature. 1996 Aug 29;382(6594):813-6. PubMed PMID:8752275
- Dent P, Jelinek T, Morrison DK, Weber MJ, Sturgill TW. Reversal of Raf-1 activation by purified and membrane-associated protein phosphatases. Science.1995 Jun 30;268(5219):1902-6. PubMed PMID:7604263
- Wu J, Dent P, Jelinek T, Wolfman A, Weber MJ, Sturgill TW. Inhibition of the EGF-activated MAP kinase signaling pathway by adenosine 3',5'-monophosphate. Science. 1993 Nov 12;262(5136):1065-9. PubMed PMID:7694366
- Dent P, Haser W, Haystead TA, Vincent LA, Roberts TM, Sturgill TW. Activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase by v-Raf in NIH 3T3 cells and in vitro. Science. 1992 Sep 4;257(5075):1404-7. PubMed PMID:1326789
- Rossomando AJ, Wu J, Michel H, Shabanowitz J, Hunt DF, Weber MJ, Sturgill TW. Identification of Tyr-185 as the site of tyrosine autophosphorylation of recombinant mitogen-activated protein kinase p42mapk. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992 Jul 1;89(13):5779-83. PubMed PMID:1378617;PubMed Central PMCID: PMC402101
- Wu J, Rossomando AJ, Her JH, Del Vecchio R, Weber MJ, Sturgill TW. Autophosphorylation in vitro of recombinant 42-kilodalton mitogen-activated protein kinase on tyrosine. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991 Nov 1;88(21):9508-12. PubMed PMID:1835084; PubMed Central PMCID:PMC52747
- Anderson NG, Maller JL, Tonks NK, Sturgill TW. Requirement for integration of signals from two distinct phosphorylation pathways for activation of MAP kinase. Nature. 1990 Feb 15;343(6259):651-3. PubMed PMID:2154696
- Ray LB, Sturgill TW. Rapid stimulation by insulin of a serine/threonine kinase in 3T3-L1 adipocytes that phosphorylates microtubule-associated protein 2 in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1987 Mar;84(6):1502-6. PubMed PMID:2951732; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC304462
- 1.Ray LB, Sturgill TW. Rapid stimulation by insulin of a serine/threonine kinase in 3T3-L1 adipocytes that phosphorylates microtubule-associated protein 2 in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1987 Mar;84(6):1502-6. PubMed PMID:2951732; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC304462
- 2.Eblen ST, Kumar NV, Shah K, Henderson MJ, Watts CK, Shokat KM, Weber MJ. Identification of novel ERK2 substrates through use of an engineered kinase and ATP analogs. J Biol Chem. 2003 Apr 25;278(17):14926-35. Epub 2003 Feb 19. PubMed PMID: 12594221
- 3.Carlson SM, Chouinard CR, Labadorf A, Lam CJ, Schmelzle K, Fraenkel E, White FM. Large-scale discovery of ERK2 substrates identifies ERK-mediated transcriptional regulation by ETV3. Sci Signal. 2011 Oct 25;4(196):rs11. doi: 10.1126/scisignal.2002010. PubMed PMID: PMID:22028470; PubMed Central PMCID:PMC3779841.
- 4.Courcelles M, Frémin C, Voisin L, Lemieux S, Meloche S, Thibault P. Phosphoproteome dynamics reveal novel ERK1/2 MAP kinase substrates with broad spectrum of functions. Mol Syst Biol. 2013 May 28;9:669. doi:10.1038/msb.2013.25. PubMed PMID:23712012